If you get the below error message while executing java program
Error:Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error:A fatal exception has occurres.Program will exit.
To resolve this issue, following steps are needed to be followed (on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8):
- Right Click on My Computer Icon and click on Properties
- Click on Advanced Systems Settings
- Then Environment Variables
- Under System Variables, click New
- In which give Variable Name as: _JAVA_OPTIONS
- Variable Value: -Xmx1024m
- Click OK
That’s it, now your Java program should execute properly.
Heap size allocated by the JVM by default can be Increased/Modified by using Java -Xmx/s command line options.
-Xms<size> set initial Java heap size
-Xmx<size> set maximum Java heap size
Click here to know about getting JVM heap size, used memory, total memory using Java Runtime programatically.